The competition aims to raise the awareness of the general public on endangered species protection, and to promulgate the message through stories created with photographs.
Theme of Photo Story
Photo stories should be related to protection of endangered animal and plant species in the following areas:
- advocating sustainable use of wildlife resources
- combating illegal trade in wild animals and plants
- encouraging the public to comply with Protection of Endangered Species of Animals and Plants Ordinance
Participants may visit the website of Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) at www.cites.org.hk for information about endangered species protection and legislative controls. They may also refer to the website of “Photography Tips for Beginners” for photographic techniques in creating photo stories (http://www.fotobeginner.com/2998/tips-for-story-telling/).
- Secondary School Section (for full-time local secondary students)
- Open Section (for local residents of age 16 or over)
- Each entry should present 4-6 colour photos telling a story which conveys the message of endangered species protection with themes mentioned above. Participants are free to use any type of film camera or digital camera to take the photos.
- A title should be given to each story. The story may include captions/description either in Chinese or in English. A maximum of 60 words can be used excluding title for both languages.
- The photos, story title and captions/description should be affixed/printed on a piece of paper of A3 size (420 x 297mm). There is no restriction on the size of individual photos.
Entry and Submission
- Entry form can be downloaded here or obtained from the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department, 5/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, Kowloon during office hour (Monday to Friday: 9 a.m.-12:30 p.m. and 1:30 p.m.-5:30 p.m.).
- Copies of entry forms mailed to schools are acceptable for use by participating schools.
- Each entry should be submitted with a completed entry form to be stuck on the back of the paper.
- Entries may be submitted by post to the Endangered Species Protection Division, Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department, 5/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices or by hand to the same address during office hour. All entries for the Secondary School Section must be submitted through respective schools.
Deadline for Submission
11 July 2011 (Monday) [According to the postmark if by mail]
|Expression of the theme
|Photo taking technique
The following prizes will be given in each section:
||HK$3,000 vouchers and certificate
||HK$1,500 vouchers and certificate
||HK$1,000 vouchers and certificate
|Outstanding Award (10 places)
||HK$100 vouchers and certificate
|Most Supportive School Award
(For Secondary School Section only)
|HK$2,000 vouchers and certificate
Announcement of Results
Results will be published on the AFCD website at www.cites.org.hk in August 2011. Winners will be notified individually. Arrangements of the prize presentation ceremony will be announced in due course.
Terms and Conditions
- The AFCD reserves the right to determine the terms and conditions and the results of the competition, and to revise these terms and conditions without prior notice.
- Only one entry is allowed for each participant.
- The submission of an entry shall be deemed as granting of consent to the unconditional transfer of all copyright to the AFCD. The AFCD reserves the right to revise, use, reproduce and distribute any entry without obtaining prior consent from the participant.
- AFCD has the right to use, publish or display the particulars of the winners (including their names, school names, age, photographs, etc) for publicity purpose.
- All submissions must be of original design. It is the participant's responsibility to settle any claims on intellectual property, and the organizers shall not be responsible for such claims.
- Entries that have received awards in other competitions will not be accepted.
- AFCD reserves the right to request participants to submit the original files (i.e. JPEG files for digital photos with resolution of 300 dpi)/films. Participants may be disqualified if they fail to submit the above items.
- All submissions will not be returned.
Endangered Species Protection Division
Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department
Address : 5/F, Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon
Telephone : 2150 6974
Fax : 2376 3749
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : www.cites.org.hk