Hong Kong Underwater Photo and Video Competition 2017 is co-organized by the Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (AFCD) and Hong Kong Underwater Association (HKUA) with a view to promoting the beauty of underwater marine life and habitats in Hong Kong; and raising public awareness of importance in conservation of our marine environment in Hong Kong.
Kick-off Ceremony cum Flag Presentation and Underwater Photography Workshop
||28 May 2017 (Sunday)
||3:00 p.m.- 5:30 p.m.
||Hong Kong Heritage Discovery Centre
||Free admission (No registration in advance is needed)
Diving Safety Reminder and Diving Etiquette - Ms. Mimi So
Underwater Filming in Hong Kong - Mr. Raymond Man
Underwater Creative Arts in Hong Kong - Mr. Alan Lau
Sharing of Asia Underwater Photo Contest - Mr. Alex Wong
Tips to Win the Competition – Winners of Competition 2016:
Ms. Vania Kam (Macro & Close up),
Mr. Franke Yu (Standard & Wide Angle),
Mr. Kingston Lee (Video)
Eligibility / Entry Requirement
Current certified diver. All entries should show marine ecology, habitats or marine life in Hong Kong waters and be taken in Hong Kong waters within the designated period from 19 September 2016 to 17 September 2017. Entries must be the original personal photography of contestants; and prior to the submission, were not for sale, published and involved in any other competitions. People being involved in organizing the competition are not allowed to join the competition.
Rules and Regulations
A. Photo Competition (Contestants should be enrolled as individual.)
- Photo competition is divided into two categories:
(I) Marco & Close up Category: Images with underwater vision of 60mm to 200mm lens
(II) Standard & Wide Angle Category: Images with underwater vision of 14mm to 50mm lens
- Entries should be original photographs. The resolution of the file submitted should not be higher than 1200×1600 (4:3) or 1200x1800 (2:3). Except for minor adjustments such as full-frame optimization of white balance, brightness, contrast, colour saturation, sharpening and cropping, no manipulation is allowed, for example, synthetic modification or colour-change by computer post-processing.
- Once the entries are selected, the original untouch file of the entries and a file with minor modification (for exhibition purpose) must be provided by the contestants in JPEG/RAW/TIFF format, resolution of which should not be less than 2400×3200 (4:3) or 2400x3600 (2:3). The minor modification is defined as no more than 10% optimization of color, exposure and/or
- Contestants are reminded to pre-set the date of the camera before shooting.
- Contestants could enter one or all categories with no more than ten photos submitted for each category.
B. Video Competition (Contestants can be enrolled either as individual or in teams. )
- Entries must be in 720i Standard-definition (SD) resolution or above. Edited video clip should not be longer than 1 min. Video entries should be in H.264/MPEG-4 format.
- Accompanying music, if included in the video, should be royalty free and not infringe on any copyright.
- Contestants could submit with no more than three entries for video competition.
- Video editing will be allowed. However, computer graphic and animation should be minimized. At least 75% of the video should be taken place in the water.
The organizers have the right to disqualify the entries that do not meet the above rules and regulations for the competition. Organizers also reserve the right to timely amend the rules and regulation of the competition without prior notice to the contestant.
The contestants are required to submit their entry in CD or DVD together with their duly completed entry form and photocopy of the diving certificate to Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department (Marine Conservation Division/East, 7/F Cheung Sha Wan Government Offices, 303 Cheung Sha Wan Road, Kowloon) or Hong Kong Underwater Association (Room 1012, Sport House, 1 Stadium Path, So Kon Po, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong) by mail or in person on or before the date of deadline. Once submitted, no entries in the form of file, CD or DVD will be returned to the contestant.
For photo competition, the entries may be submitted together with the electronic copy of the duly completed entry form and diving certificate by email at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org . Acknowledgment E-mail will be sent to the contestants for successful submission.
18 September 2017 (Mon) at 4:00pm
Judges and Judging Criteria
A. Photo competition: all entries will be scored by the judges on the basis of the shooting difficulty, the overall beauty and the expression of the message.
B. Video competition: all entries will be scored by the judges on the basis of the theme, the creativity, the technical skill (visual impact, editing, background music), the expression of the message and the overall performance.
Mr David Hsiung Mr Alfred Li Mr Raymond Man Mr Denny Wong
Mr Ken Ching Mr John Ng Dr Yu Hip Cho Representatives of the organizers
Prizes and Awards
Champion, first runner-up, second runner-up and 10 outstanding awards will be given in each category. A total of 3 special prizes will be given by the judging panel in each category for outstanding entries taken by the contestants who have not received any awards from underwater photo or video competitions in Hong Kong or overseas. The prizes include trophy and certificate.
Hong Kong Underwater Association will select a best underwater photographer and a best underwater videographer. They will be eligible to represent Hong Kong to enter oversea competitions (The organizers reserve the right to make the final decision).
Each winner will be noticed for the award on or before 21 October 2017. The contestants winning the first prizes for each category may be invited to introduce their awarded entries and share their tips in taking the photography in the prize presentation ceremony and the subsequent public seminars or sharing session introducing marine ecology of Hong Kong. The winning entries will be displayed for educational purpose as well.
Contestants shall comply with the relevant Copyright Law. Entries in violation of copyright or related offenses, including but not limiting to being borrowed; reprodu ced, copied and counterfeit, will be disqualified. The offender shall bear their own legal liability . Any legal disputes are not related to the organizers.
The organizers reserve the rights including but not limiting to exhibit, publicly display, distribute, reproduce, edit, print and publish the entries without prior notice to the contestant. No fees will be payable for any of the above uses.
Once the entries have been submitted for the competition, the contestant is assumed to recognize and agree the items stated in the entry form.
Tel: 2150 6834
Fax: 2377 4427