Agriculture, Fisheries and Conservation Department
MAP] [CONTACT US]
Consultancy Study on Wetland Compensation
Summary of the Results of Study on Wetland Compensation
- A wetland inventory on type, area, zoning and general land status of wetlands in Hong Kong are compiled in a GIS format database.
- Ecologically important wetland sites have been identified with recommendations on the priorities and measures for the protection of these sites.
- The Study identified that the existing institutional mechanisms of the EIAO, TPO and CPO are applicable to control further wetland decline. Also, the existing general policy and sequence for mitigating / compensating impact on important habitats and wildlife are to be strictly adhered.
- A "Potential Mitigation Area" (PMA) approach is recommended for consideration as option for planning off-site mitigation / compensation if on-site mitigation is exhausted.
- Guidelines are proposed on the approaches to wetland mitigation / compensation and the implementation of wetland compensation / mitigation management plan to facilitate project proponents for the planning and implementation of wetland mitigation / compensation options and
- Recommendation of further field trials for strengthening the knowledge base on wetland mitigation / compensation or enhancement of the wetland system is provided.
- The Study was completed in September 2005 and the Executive Summary of the Study is provided in PDF format.
[Download Acrobat Reader to open PDF document]
End of Page
Welfare and Control]
& Marine Parks] [Conservation]
[Quarantine & Pesticides]
Last Review Date : 29 July 2015